Main Attractions in Toulouse
Basilique St-Sernin is Europe's largest Romanesque church, built of brick, stone and tile from the 11th to the 13th century, containing the tomb of Saint-Saturnin or Sernin, martyr and bishop, who brought Christianity to Toulouse.
Built over the course of five centuries, this church's combination of various styles make it a particularly original building. Here, you'll discover the medieval stained-glass window, the tapestries and paintings, the large rose window of 1230. .
This magnificent complex of monastic building is a jewel of Languedoc Gothic, built entirely of brick in the 13th and 14th centuries, consisting of several different elements: the church, with the double name; a 14th-century cloister; the chapter hall; the chapel of Saint-Antonin and a refectory.
Musée des Augustins houses an outstanding collection of 12th-century Romanesque sculpture, a superb collection of paintings, and other sculpture ranging from the Middle Ages to the early 20th century.
Built in the 18th century, the Capitole houses the City Hall and a Theatre. The Salle des Illustres features gilt decorations and painted ceilings.
A beautiful river to which Toulouse owns its existance. The river which flows from the center of the city housing ancient chappels and monuments, green pastures and gardens along its banks. A beautiful place to spend a day.
Guided walking tours in and around Toulouse
- For those of you who are interested in knowing more about the art,
architecture and history of Toulouse, there are guided walks and
visit in English every month.
- The walks are for about two hours and they cost
around 10 euros per person [as of November 2011].
- Mostly walks/guided tours are planned in Toulouse but sometimes visits are planned for places in nearby areas of Toulouse also.
- You can check the scheduled walks/tours for each month on this website maintained by the guide.
- The guide is an art historian and you can check her website
- If you want to participate for any walk, you need to contact the guide. If vacancy exists the guide will reply back with a confirmation.