All information or excerpts provided on this web page are only indicative in nature. For latest document requirements and procedures visit https://www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr.
An institution in France or abroad, for example your company, embassy, foreign consulate, etc., can demand a certificate of good conduct or certificate of criminal free record from French police. In France it is known as "extrait de casier judiciaire". This certificate can be obtained by filling up online form (if you are born in France) or by downloading and filling up the paper version of the form. The dully filled form along with supporting documents is to be submitted by an email, fax or by post to following address
107 rue du Landreau,
44317 NANTES CEDEX 3
Fax: 02 51 89 89 18
Procedure for application
Born in France
If you are born in France, the request for this certficate can be made online.
- Fill up the online application form.
- Submit scanned copies of your titre de séjour, passport, residence proof (Gas or electricity bills) documents.
Born outside France
If you are born outside France, the request for this certificate can be made online or by Fax or e-mail. Following procedure needs to be followed.
Option 2: You can also do it by fax, post or by visiting the office personally along with the required documents. See details on the website
- Attachments in e-mail should be in one of the following format: GIF, JPEG or PDF
Only files in this format is accepted by the police department
- Attaching scanned copies in any other format will result in rejection of the application.
All documents should be Faxed or emailed to above mentioned address.
The usual processing time is about one week from the date of receipt of the application.
If you are born outside France, to request this certificate by post, following procedure need to be followed.
- Download the application form and fill in all required details.
- Provide photocopies of copies of your titre de séjour, passport, residence proof (Gas or electricity bills).
- Post all documents to above mentioned address.
The usual processing time is about two weeks from the date of receipt of the application.
- Only the person concerned may request a Casier judiciaire and it is not possible to make a request on behalf of another person.
- One can demand more than one certificate. This can be done while filling the application form.
- Obtaining this certificate from the Police department is for FREE.
- Do not include any envelope or stamps
Sample copy of the certificateA sample copy of a certificate for a person devoid of any criminal record is provided below. If the persons history is free from any criminal record registered by French police then the relevant space for the registered criminal record should be a crossed (diagonal line or line crossed) in the issued certificate.