What is "Apostille"?
- An "Apostille is the legalization of a document for international use (only in the member countries of the Hague Convention, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_convention)
- Apostille is acceptable in 94 member countries of the convention and is issued for personal documents like birth, death, marriage certificates, affidavits, power of attorney etc. and educational documents like degree, diploma, matriculation and secondary level certificates, etc. However, commercial documents are excluded from the purview of the convention.
- It is a seal applied by an authority to certify that a document is a true copy of an original. It is usually required in France for legal purposes such as
- if you apply for French citizenship
- if you marry a French citizen
- buy a property, etc.,
Where to get it?
For Indian citizen residing in France, Consular service of Indian Consulate in Paris provided this service. Please consult this
page from the web site of Indian consulate in Paris.
- Degree, diploma, school certificate etc., are attested by the embassy only after these have been attested by the competent authority in the state concerned followed by ministry of external affairs.
- French documents issued by the french authorities must be apostilled by the French cour d’appeal or French ministry of foreign affairs.
- Charges are: Euros 25.00 in cash per document
- Ministry of External Affairs is responsible for Attestation and Apostille of documents for use in countries abroad. This service is now being performed by its offices located at different places throughout India.
- The complete list is available here.
- Above document also details the procedure to get document Apostille.
From the information contributed by member Mr. Ajay Kanojia of Indian in Toulouse community:
(Following information is not authenticated and moderators of Indians in Toulouse community, do not bear any responsibility, either direct or indirect or implied about authenticity of the agents and matters arising out of it)
It can also be done in India through private agents listed below: